Thursday, August 20, 2009

Two Books-The Amaranth Enchantment, and Austenland


My first book is Austenland, by Shannon Hale. I'm actually surprised I never read it before now. So I decided to give it a try, because all other Shannon Hale books have been well-received by me.
I really liked this book. It was witty and charming, and very enjoyable. I discovered a side of the author I hadn't seen before. I liked the parallels to Pride and Prejudice, and I thought that the book was well-researched. 4 stars for being a witty and very entertaining book to read.


The Amaranth Enchantment is kind of a Cinderella-type story. Lucinda lives with her uncle and his wife, who fits the evil-stepmother archtypal perfectly. She's and orphan, and lives a miserable existance under her dominating aunt. But one day she has the chance to change it when two powerful people enter her uncle's jewelry store.
I found this book to be pretty entertaining, but I wasn't all that captured by the story. Maybe it was because of the age group it was aimed at? I'm not sure. But it really was a lovley story, and was quite funny at times. Good for passing time on a long trip. I give it 3.5 stars.

Any suggestions for books to read and review? And in the next two weeks I may not have much time for blogging because I'm going to start university in September so I have a lot of things to do to prepare.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought Austenland paled in comparison to Shannon's other books, but I did still enjoy it.

I've been wanting to read the Amaranth Enchantment, but I'm not feeling too confident about how much I'll like it.

Suggestions:
North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headly. Lovely, lovely book.

My Fair Godmother by Janette Rallision. Hysterical and witty.

The Declaration by Gemma Malley. It's futurisic, but very easy and quick to read. Doesn't really bring anything new to the sci-fi/futuristic genre, but I thought it was highly enjoyable.

clairedelune said...

thanks for your suggestions. I was considering reading North of beautiful after reading your blog. And I agree with you about Austenland. It was enjoyable, but not beautiful and not a book I'd love to re-read.