Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Waiting for Godot

So, as I told you, I'm now in university. But I want to try to continue this blog. I just won't be posting as often anymore.
University is awesome! I've had one full week of classes now, and i'm loving it. It is a bit rainy, but I'm used to that sort of weather. And it is kind of cool living in residence. I found a small group of friends pretty quickly, and it's really cool because it feels like we've been friends for longer than we have been.
Now, for the book/play mentioned in the title. It's written by Samuel Beckett, and is required reading for my enriched english course. And, well, it's kind of boring. The idea of the story is interesting, and it has a deep theme. But the way it achieves that theme is kind of boring to read. It's more interesting to read aloud. The play revolves around two old men, who are waiting for a man named Godot. They bicker. Then two more old men appear, and they all bicker. The recent arrivals leave, and act one ends with the arrival of a boy, Godot's servant, who tells the men that Godot will not come tonight, but tomorrow. Act two starts the next day, and the exact same thing happens. In fact, they even talk about the same things. But there are two differences. The two old men who appear later are now blind and mute, and the tree that was bare the day before is covered with leaves. But the most interesting/strange thing? No one remembers the past day except for one man, and the fact that his companions don't remember frightens him. He is the only one in the play who remembers anything. We're not finished discussing it, but I'm intrigued. It is kind of frustrating to read, though. Thoughts about this? has anyone else read it, or even heard of it?

1 comment:

Ayyappan said...

I am just back from watching an English adaptation of Waiting For Godot..!!

It has been playing in Bombay since 1979 and has been considered to be one of the most sucessful english plays in India.. played by top actors from India!!!

My friend fell asleep during the performance... I tried hard to appear interested..!!