Sunday, April 10, 2011

Court Duel

The Goodreads summary for this book is very brief, but basically it's a sequel to Crown Duel, and is about a court following the removal of a corrupt ruler. I've been re-reading it over the past day, and it's really renewed my love for this book. It's wonderfully written, and it had me completely engrossed in the story. Sherwood Smith is excellent in her description of the world of this book. It seems very realistic, and the extra touches about court etiquette were really interesting. This book was great as a re-read, because I noticed so many little things that went right over my head the first time. The prose is well-written, and the dialogue doesn't sound forced at all. Unlike other books I've read where they try to use language to evoke a sense of the medieval, it felt natural. Also, I loved the romance in this book. Meliara is such a well-written character; she stays true to herself and is willing to admit her own faults. Overall, a great read, and highly recommended. I love this book so much that it kept me from studying for finals! I'd give it 4 stars.

No comments: