Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Seer and the Sword-Victoria Hanley


This book was a surprise to me. I found it while browsing at the library, which I don't do very often. Usually I request books online rather than getting them on a whim. But I'm so glad I did! This book was so not what I thought it was going to be. It was inventive, and surprised me. This book is apparently Victoria Hanley's first YA novel, and I think she did very well.
The book is about Princess Torina, and her friend Landen, prince of Bellandra, a kingdom Torina's father has conquered. So going in I had some ideas about what the book would be like, what would happen, but I was totally wrong, and glad for it. The author creates believable twists to the story. The book is well written, and very believable. It's a story about two people who have everything taken away from them, and their slow paths to redemption. And about two people who take years to reunite.
I'm so glad I picked up this book. I think this one is a definite re-read in the future. It's a very complex story, but because it's a YA novel and not an adult novel, it's easier to read.
I'll stop the review here so I don't go gushing about how awesome some of the characters develop to be.
Going to give this one 4.5 stars, for being awesome.

No comments: