Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Cellist of Sarajevo

This was such an incredible book. It is set during the siege of Sarajevo, an event that occurred from April 5, 1992, to February 29, 1996. The story revolves around the people of the city, who simply try to survive as they watch their city die around them. One day, while waiting to buy bread, 22 people are killed by a mortar attack. This causes the cellist to decide to play his cello every day at 4 for 22 days, for every person killed. This actually happened. The book is an eloquent portrayal of 3 residents of Sarajevo. It is shocking, moving, and strangely beautiful. I highly recommend this book.

...And I got to meet the author! He came to my university since he lives in the area and he gave a lecture on the book. It was so interesting and was really cool to meet the author. And he signed my book. That made my day.

Ah, university life. Stressful, fun, exciting, new! I have a quiz tomorrow and a midterm Monday for math, and an in-class essay for English. I haven't even been here for a month and I love it. I've had so much fun so far, and I've met some really cool people. And it's exciting living away from home. And my birthday is in 10 days! I really recommend that you read The Cellist of Sarajevo. It is a great piece of Canadian writing, and I loved it.

No comments: