Saturday, April 5, 2008

Beastly



Okay, so the first book I'm going to review here is...Beastly by Alex Flinn. It's basically a new version of Beauty and the Beast, written from the Beast's point of view, and set in present day New York.
I really liked this book. It's fresh, and very entertaining. I wanted to read it in one sitting, so the whole day at school I kept on wanting to reach into my bag and start reading, even though I should have been paying attention. I liked that the book told about what it was like for Kyle/Adrian before he was changed. Most Beauty and the Beast stories tend to start after the fact, and I liked the new take. I liked the fact that instead of making the story too modern, the author still kept a lot of the fantasy of a fairy tale in it. The chat room sequences were also pretty funny, especially if, like me, you can tell which fairy tales each speaker came from. The only bad thing I can say about the book is that I found some parts to be a tad cheesy, especially when Adrian took to calling Lindy by terms of endearment in his head. But it was overall a very good book, and I recommend that anyone who likes retellings of fairy tales read it.

Coming Soon: Hush: An Irish Princess' Tale by Donna Jo Napoli.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never seen this book before. It sounds really interesting!

Unknown said...

I really want to read this book!

I've wanted to do that before, read all day and never stop. It's especially annoying when you have to go to school instead. ;)

Patrice said...

never heard of it, but it looks really cool. I'll have to find a copy to read.